FOCUS: Crankshaft production failures
A major automotive company was experiencing excessive crankshaft production failures.
An improvement team was assembled to analyze the problem and implement required improvements. The team applied various process analysis and statistical six sigma tools to both improve and streamline the process. Several opportunities to improve quality and efficiency were implemented. They included:
– Using Six Sigma tools to stratify the errors; most were due to grinding failures
– Using the DMAIC process to decrease the interference caused by design of the main axle pocket and flange area
– Decreasing the number of crankshaft failures from 15,000/million to 1,000/million
– Improving operator training
As a result of the process improvements, the company realized over $100,000 in annualized
ROI (Return On Investment).
* Due to nondisclosure agreements, the organization referenced in this example cannot be disclosed.